YFNA History Project

Young Friends of North America (YFNA) influenced generations of young Friends. If you were one of them, please share your story. The History Project is just beginning. See "How to Contribute to the Project" below.

Name:

I felt moved to help launch this project, and hope that the depth of the collective YFNA memory will reveal the richness of the YFNA experience. (I was clerk of YFNA from 1975-1977. I also travelled on the Women's Caravan during the summer of 1975.) The YFNA community was my spiritual family during the 1970s.

Friday, October 28, 2005

Past Conferences

  • 1955: Quaker Haven, Indiana. "Christian Love." (>150)
  • 1957: Paris, Ontario. "The Christian and the Community." (200)
  • 1959: Junction City, Kansas. "Prayer and Worship." (>170)
  • 1961: Lake Koronis, Minnesota. "Thy Will be Done: Spiritual Basis for Our Christian Service." (>190)
  • 1963: Staonton, Virginia. "And Who Do You Say That I Am?: The Nature and Meaning of Christ." (>170)
  • 1965: Syracuse, Indiana. "What Doth the Lord Require of Thee?" (100)
  • 1967: Poughkeepsie, New York. "Crisis in the Search for Community." (142)
  • 1969: Junction City, Kansas. "In the Midst of Revolution: Worship in Action."
  • 1970: Plainfield, Indiana. "Stewardship."
  • 1971: Devil's Lake, Wisconsin. "Relationship of Spiritual to Professional and Vocational Lives."
  • 1972: Gowen, Michigan. (No theme, no planned schedule) (90)
  • 1973: Colfax, Iowa. "Personal Basis of Faith: How God has acted in Our Lives." (150)
  • 1974: Divide Colorado. "Friends and Human Justice." (93)
  • 1975: Pottstown, Pennsylvania. "The Earth is the Lord's and the Fullness Thereof." (102)
  • August 9-16, 1981: Camp NeeKauNis, Waubaushene, Ontaio, Canada (with Canadian Young Friends Yearly Meeting). "Seeking That Which is Eternal."
  • July 25-31, 1982: Scattergood School, WestBranch, Iowa. "Life Work: Following the Leadings of the Spirit."
  • Seventh month 10-16, 1983: Camp Adams, Molalla, Oregon. "Transformation Through Prayer."
  • Sixth month 24-30, 1984: Camp Galilee, Terra Alta, West Virginia. "Moving into God's Love: Alternative Futures."

Thanks to Caroline McCoy for sharing her research, and providing the bulk of this material. Please send additions and corrections. Note that we are missing 1976-1980, and conferences prior to 1955.

4 Comments:

Blogger kwattles said...

My parents, Austin Wattles and Joan Dudley/Wattles (now also known as Jay Goldspinner), were involved in the early 1950s. In the early '70s, my whole family came to a few events, including the conference at Devil's Lake in 1971, and I guess once or twice to New Swarthmore.

That was a memorable experience for me (I guess I was 14 years old!). I wrote about it today in the Street Corner Society blog, and then searched for a link to add to my mention of YFNA, which brings me here.

My parents are still both active Friends. My dad's in Atlanta, GA, and my mom is in Greenfield, Mass.

8:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What but the Holy Spirit can have led me to your blog this morning? I attended YFNA 1969: Junction City, Kansas as the representative of Pacific Yearly Meeting. It was my first exposure to any Friends other than my own Yearly Meeting (which at that time included large geographic areas now split off into separate YMs).

I’d graduated from John Woolman School the previous summer and was pretty full of myself. Our worship and basically all our time together in Junction City blew that apart. I had what I can only call a born again experience at the conference which totally changed the course of my life. I met T.Canby Jones and Hugh Barbour and instantly *had* to go to ESR. It took a while but I did in fact get to ESR via first Earlham College.

I was so saddened to find some time ago that YFNA wasn’t any longer functioning. I’ve been active for about the last 10 years in the alumni association of John Woolman School because of the keen sense I feel for the need to nurture the faith lives of our teenagers and young adults and how convinced I am that Friends have a unique and important ministry to the world in Friends’ education.

About 20 years ago I found myself called to Catholicism. Now, these many years since formal conversion, I am finally at home in my skin as a Catholic. I cannot imagine how impoverished my life would be were it not for the gift that was born in me at Junction City and nurtured through the fellowship of my brothers and sisters in YFNA.

I’ve posted your blog URL on the ESR alum e-list. Will try to get it into the Earlham College updates.

Marylouise Mainhart Lambert
Alameda, CA

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great to hear there is an attempt to bring this together. Did you know that Kyle Joiliffe of Canadian YM was working on a history in the late 1980s? I don't know where he is.

I will pull out my old newsletters, but can fill in 1985-1993, with places if not themes. I am a prior clerk and newsletter editor in the late 80s-90s, and organied the 1993 worshop. There was a 94 caravan, but no gathering, then a small gathering in 95 was the last, I think. The 94 caravan was last. I am not sure if I can make the Olney gathering, but will try.

Nikki Coffey Tousley, Dayton MM

9:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

1976--Paris, Ontario--Lisa, you clerked that year. I forget the theme.

1977--McNabb, IL--Gifts of the Spirit--Tim Henley was a Friend in Residence

1978--Colorado--the theme had to do with Spirit-led Social Action. Tim Bartoo was clerk. Monette Thatcher spoke, among others.

When did YFNA come to California? probably at John Woolman School? 1979? More likely 1980. One of those two as several Friends came to visit me afterwards in San Rafael where I had a summer job and couldn't get away.

1981 or 82 was at Camp Adams in Mollala, OR, but maybe you have that info already.

Jay Thatcher
ajaxhatcher at yahoo.com
Corvallis Friends Meeting
North Pacific Yearly Meeting

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home